My very first grow.. need ton of advice!

Hi all, so I have noticed alot of people doming their starter pots. Is this necessary? Is this just to keep the moisture in? Sort of like a clone station? If this is your thing, do you do it right at germ or after first leaves?

1 Like

Not necessary, but helpful for many people. It keeps your seedlings basking in humidity, which they like. I don’t run a dome on my seedlings, but I keep the humidity in my veg tent ~60% with a humidifier. I try to run it around 70% when I have seedlings in there.

2 Likes

so these are the random seeds from good smoke I planted the 23rd… hm and temp ok?

Humidity is tough for me because of the cold dry space I am working with, I have been told that 70-75 degrees is good, however I have been told 75-80 is optimal… any opinions? I was also told that Hm should be at 50%… @MidwestGuy however I might not be getting the best info, want to square it out for the lovely IGLM ladies im germing now :grin:

1 Like

Personally I like my humidity at least 60% or higher and the temp as close to 80 as I can get it. The humidity is what I would bring up at this point. If you took a plastic pop bottle and cut the bottom off you could use it as a dome to bring up the humidity until they’re a little bigger. Just make sure you poke holes in it so they can get air

2 Likes

I keep my seedlings between 72 - 76. Seedlings like a lot of humidity. I don’t use a dome, but I keep my tent around 70% when in veg. Humidity definitely needs to be higher than 50% for the young ones. 50% humidity is okay later when you are weeks into veg. Definitely <50% humidity when flowering.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Missiles @MidwestGuy I am definitely going to get the humidity up! I really appreciate all the advice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Anytime :grin:

1 Like

My current grow has an OG auto started in bucket once I got to where your at. Roots are thriving I posted an initial pic post.
I went with no dome; rolling my lucky dice, just kidding I shaded her though…

1 Like

Im so sad!! Both the white widow germed, however neither of the Gold leaf did :sob:! I did the germ like ILGM said… I have heard better things about the paper towel way. So I went ahead and started a Bubblegum just now.

Hey all sorry I havent been around for a while. Very busy working and all the family stuff… Anyway I took your advice about my hm @MidwestGuy and @Missiles and went ahead and got a Inkbird humidity controller. So here are the girls! The 2 in the 5 gallon pots, are the misc seeds that got transplanted yesterday, and are 11 days old. IMG_0234 IMG_0235 Here are from left to right… Bubble gum, white widow, white widow IMG_0236 They are 3-4 days old. IMG_0237 This lady is like 8 days old… not sure if I should cull her.

2 Likes

Looking great. The newly transplanted ones look perky, so they are happy plants.

2 Likes

IMG_0230(1) I have noticed that the little hm and temp meter has been like 9% off of what the new controller says… I was thinking the inkbird is probably the more reliable of the two.

1 Like

They look great :grin: nice job! And I would think the ink bird would be more reliable also :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you both for your opinions!! I did research a bit, but it doesnt compare to good old experience!! :smiley: Hoping everyone is well, will be back and post pics of the next transplants

2 Likes

Oh and have been running the temp at 77degrees and the hm between 70 and 75 %. They are responding quite a bit to the humidity increase!! :grin:

2 Likes

That’s great! Keep up the great work :grin:

1 Like

My 1st seed was a slow start.

but I hate giving up your choice to be merciful or cold hearted. there she is at month old. this is her all grown up (auto)

2 Likes

It was a very tough decision, however I did decide to cull her. Very happy that it worked out for you, I decided to put forth the energy and time to the other ladies. It was not a decision made lightly :cry: Also I am only allowed “legally” to raise 5 plants accorded with the card I hold. Really just hoping my 2 misc seeds arent both males… :woozy_face:

1 Like

Hey, I saw the pictures of your set up. Just a suggestion, I see u have a canister filter set up. U might want to disconnect it until your babies get bigger… I didn’t need my filter till I flipped to flower. That’s when the odor really developed. U will get a lot more life out of the filter. Happy growing.

3 Likes