My first grow is upon me (support ticket inside)

Ph meter was calibrated about 3 weeks ago by a hydro shop guy when I purchased . Maybe I should read the calibration instructions and check that out just to confirm .

Recalibrated my meter . Readings for bigger plant 5.75 smaller plant 5.78 . I dare not try and fine tune it any more or I’ll bounce above/below in frustration. @Myfriendis410

1 Like

Thank you for doing that. It simply removes that as an issue.

At this point I would follow the nutrient schedule for plants in veg because you have some ready to take off. If you don’t already, you should pick up a tds meter so you know where everything is at.

@Myfriendis410 , thanks for the info a tds meter is on the shopping list . I’ll be nervously keeping an eye on those yellowing areas . Hopefully this first one goes well . Learning from others experience is the key .

1 Like

Well, hydro is different and I have no direct experience with it. What I’m told is a deficiency can look like an excess and vice versa.

I would suspect that they’re hungry assuming no departure from nominal ph recently. Yellow leaves will likely die.

If you provide a beneficial environment for them, tds and ph properly, change nutes on time etc you will have a great grow.

2 Likes

This is true - an underfed plant can look a lot like an overfed plant.

In hydro a TDS/EC meter is essential. If the whole point of hydro is to optimize your root environment at any time, then you need the tools to measure the things you want to optimize. :smiley:

Overall I think your plants look pretty good, and I wouldn’t sweat the blemishes you see right now. But I would make sure I am on top of my PH and PPMs every day until I saw new growth without any blemishes.

3 Likes

Thanks Ppm meter will be here tomorrow. Hopefully things progress. Noticed there are some ppm related charts to be found for reference.

2 Likes

A little update. @Bogleg @Donaldj @Myfriendis410 Ppm meter in house coming up on next water change and nutrients in two days. Ph 5.81 and 1608 ppm on smaller basket plant tap water 238 ppm . Larger basket ph 5.76 ppm 1650 . Prior damaged leaves are crispy and dropping away . No new yellowing. They aren’t pretty but I’m a first timer .

3 Likes

IMO your tds is a little high. With your 200 ppm tap water I’d try to be in the 1,100 ppm range.

3 Likes

I know I’ve seen some material online . Water change is in two days and will adjust down ppm . Last water change was w/o ppm meter so I feel fortunate that no ill effects have been experienced

1 Like

How often are you topping off your buckets, and are you doing it with just tap water or a nutrient mix?

I’ve never come close to hitting 1600 PPM on a plant… but I’m only on my second grow so take that into consideration. :slight_smile:

Right now my plants are at 800 and 1100 respectively. Nice thing about only having a couple of plants I can give them more individual attention. :slight_smile:

I should note that my tap water is 60-70 PPM.

1 Like

If you run that lower tds value and maintain a tight ph range I think you will be fine. Smaller reservoirs are harder to maintain than larger.

1 Like

Topping with just ph water . I know the readings are high . Plants seem to be building root clusters pretty rapidly. This next water change I will have much better control with ppm meter on hand.

2 Likes

Friday water change done 5.9 , 1100 for the larger basket. 5.86 , 1050 for the small basket. Still 20/4 light there are signs of flowering. Will tweak ph after things are settled. 37 days from seed.

1 Like

Ok so things are happening . I’m looking (hoping) at repeating current nutrient for 2 weeks with hopes the smaller sad plant progresses a bit more , then switch to bloom nutrients following most online information about timelines . Suggestions on the smaller plant ? @Donaldj @Myfriendis410 @Bogleg

1 Like

How do the roots look? Especially compared to the others? Other than the small one they all look good.

2 Likes

Small plant is developing more roots just a slow grower maybe? 12 “ tall verses almost 24” for the bigger plant . Would the smaller basket have any effect?

1 Like

Maybe but you’d have to ask a hydro guy.

1 Like

Just posting a update of sorts also looking for any advice from the community @Donaldj @Myfriendis410 @BIGE @Bogleg . I thought the larger plant looked droopy and switched to bloom nutrient ppm 980 , ph 5.85 plant isn’t pretty but I’m learning.smaller plant is about 7 inches shorter and sparse. Ppm 950 on grow nutrient , ph 5.76 light 20/4 . Temps in the tent reach 80 at times and humidity 40-50% . Did have the recent weather change but other than humidity sway temps were not effected. Both plants seem to sacrifice some fan leaves ( makes it look ugly) thoughts, suggestions?

3 Likes

Looks pretty good so far!

1 Like

The locaton of lost leaves makes a difference being at bottom of plants can be poor light so simple energy reassignment also purple light is not very helpful when hunting for leaf symptoms

3 Likes