Lights! Please help urgent! Want to keep plants in veg mode

I saw a LED lightbulb that was screw into my clamp on metal dome lamp that will probably work better than CFL bulbs but the thing is to find it in the stores it’s all on Amazon and all the jobs I do I get paid by cash when I get pay

The big problem with vegging a pot plant indoors now is we are at winter solstice. The hours of daylight even in 2 months will be too short to maintain the vegitative state. Assuming the plant grows, any low quality lighting option will not be adequate to maintain a 3 month old pot plant, and when you finally take outside in what March? Maybe, it will be 4 months old it will start to bud because the daylight hours are still too short. As the daylight hours start to get longer, this may cause flowering to stop and veg to start again, maybe hermie the plant? Think about that, you will have your crappy light on 18 hours a day? March is still pretty early for planting anything let alone weed! Most folks dont plantnout till May! Now we are talking a 6 month old pot plant!

2 Likes

What if I get two of these bulbs or maybe even four what do you think that that would do

1 Like

I suppose if you did use those, you could top repeatedly and bonsai the plant to keep it real small. They just dont have the coverage or intensity to grow weed. The bare minimum I would think would be around 300 watts in the right spectrum with enough coverage for the plant. I’d be looking to get enough cash up to buy a half decent blurple light, look to spend around 200 bucks minimum. You should consult @dbrn32 for a cheap but effective lighting option. I would caution against throwing good money after bad. Spend wisely. The light is the most important factor in plant growth. I think the general formula works out to about a buck a watt for lighting.

@Cannabian @dbrn32 what about this light or the second light? See I don’t wanna spend too much money because this will probably be the only time I ever do it inside I love doing it outside

Nope and nope! If that first fixture is 1500 watts I’d eat a car! You are probably looking at 50 watts of light and 300 watts of heat ! I bet if you plugged either of those fixtures into a watt meter at the wall they wouldn’t be pulling even half of what they advertise. So no, as @dbrn32 what would be the cheapest viable option. If after he tells you what you should get you still cant afford it, I would walk away. Save your money, weed loves light, lots of it! You won’t be able to plant it out till May anyways? Are you prepared to flower it in your house? Itll stink, of course it won’t even stink if you dont have enough light.

1 Like

So I take it no to these lights for growing either

@dbrn32 @Dbpooper what about these man, I hate being stuck in the situations like this

This is the weather my plants are having to deal with right now because they’re outside in the shed that is not completely sealed

They are probably trying to flower if they are only getting sunlight.

You don’t need a lot of light for the next month or so. All you’re trying to do is keep it alive and happy.

You can buy a blurple light from amazon, it’ll do the trick
You can string a bunch of cfl’s together, that’ll work too.

If you never plan to grow indoors again I’d choose the cheapest route that costs the least to run ( a 150-200w blurple panel running 18/6 will add to your electric bill).

Keep in mind there’s more to cultivating cannabis indoors than just light and water.

1 Like

@Dickrick527 where do you normally get plants to grow outside?

Not quite sure yet, I THINK I can see a white pistol on one of them.

In a plastic flower pot like they are in behind my shed has enough like when the weather is here to do so, why do you ask?

I’d like to add that the fixtures here are saying they can do 2000 watts! The one above says 3000? I’m no math wiz but a standard wall plug is 15 amps at 110 volts. Even if it could burn 3000 watts it won’t be doing it out of a single outlet! By my math amps times volts equals watts right? So theory suggests the max you can suck out of a wall with one cord is 1600 watts plus or minus. So claims like 2000 or 3000 watts are kinda ridiculous, I find this type of advertising misleading and illegal at best.

2 Likes

Good to know that formula! Thanks!

You can do the fixture @Drinkslinger posted and throw in some cfl’s at 5000k+ and just treat it like a mother plant. People keep mother plants forever. Will likely need to do some topping and trimming when they start pushing the boundaries of your space. Shouldn’t have any issue keeping them going until temps and light hours permit you to put them outside. Just keep lights on 18/6 schedule.

1 Like

What’s a couple good cfl bulbs, i have a few dome clamp on ones I’ll use?

Whatever you have.

I’d try for at least 75 actual watts per plant. More would be better. Look for “cool white”. Somewhere between 3500k-6500k.

You’re just trying to keep them going on the cheap, so I’ll recommend the cheapest route I can come up with.

1 Like

And buy a cheap timer, mechanical ones work fine. If you have 4 or five lights just plug them into a power bar and plug the power bar into the timer. Pretty simple. You could benefit from a small fan to move a bit of air around them too.

1 Like