Hogbuds Trolley Scrogs

Moving the Medical Kush into their SCROGs now, they too big already… going to stretch like hell. Supposed to be 2 plants per SCROG but one will easily fill a square metre

3 Likes

Those are some chunky girls. You definitely take very good care of them.

2 Likes

I try​:laughing::laughing:

1 Like

I am mortified. Root Aphids have infested every plant

2 Likes

Oh man. I can’t like that. I’m not even sure how to fix that.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about that might want to hit up the @kaptain3d I think he had them at one time or he will know who to tag to help with them

3 Likes

Have evidence of aphids?

3 Likes

Aphids are a serious b*#ch to get rid of imo…
As far as tagging great people…
@Low is already here, @AfgVet , @dbrn32 , @Budbrother are always great people to ask.

5 Likes

Hey Low, yes I had an issue with them most of last year. They are in the coco, juveniles are the typical green colour then change to the dark grey / black when mature. They seldom get up the stems but I see them in the run off and in the bottom of the trays. When they first made an appearance I thought they were normal aphids, but then discovered they are actually root aphids. Horrible things.

3 Likes

So, there definitely are root aphids but only in some of the plants. However, all the plants are displaying the same symptoms that look like serious deficiencies. I checked my EC run off which was 2.2 ( i feed at 1.8 ) and checked the PH run off ( which i never do ) and was 6.2 ( i set PH to 5.8 every feed )
However, i did do some crazy things prior to checking the runoff trying to kill these pests which i think may have contributed to shocking the plants…

1. I poured boiling water to cook the aphids in the trays although the pots are raised about an inch above the tray i think the steam may have caused some damage to the root tips
  2. I sprayed aerosol bug killer under the pots and trays ( in a hateful rage )

Luckily they are all in veg so I could always wait to see if they recover then beef them up again before flowering.

4 Likes

This morning I fed at EC 1.8 and lowered the PH to 5.6 added microbes and a wetable powdered Nematicide ( I know aphids aren’t Nematodes but hey, what the hell… ) and Trichoderma Asperellum ( Trichotech WP ) which will help the roots heal and prevent any nasty fungus developing on the roots.
I may still do a root drench with a systemic pesticide containing Imidacloprid. ill just have to veg longer before flipping to flower

3 Likes

Thanks Kap. From I have read regarding root aphids, it doesn’t look good lol

2 Likes

I know Floraflex makes a product called “Root Drip”, or something similar, it might be worth your while to check it out :thinking:

4 Likes

Bti products like mosquito bits is what I keep on hand for this. Would probably do a soil drench and a top dress.

Im not sure if Azamax has ckeaned up their products since the lawsuit but this was at one time a popular treatment for root aphids. Beneficial nematodes and lady bugs are also options.

5 Likes

Right, ended up culling the badly infested plants. Nuked, bagged and dumped.
The rest got a root drench with an organic product called Green-Cure EW. Its active ingredient is Pyrethrin, its a water soluble liquid used as a spray and contact insecticide. Works really well on all insects, i’ve been using it for years with great results.
So yesterday I mixed up a few buckets of Green-Cure to drench the coco. Problem being is that the Green-Cure only works properly at a PH of around 4.5
I poured the solution through until the runoff PH was at 4.5 to ensure the root system was totally drenched and covered with death lol.
Let it soak over night and then this morning the plants were flushed with 1050PPM at 5.8 PH until the run off was stable and then fed again at 1050PPM and 5.8 PH with Microbes and Beneficial fungus. Probably do another microbe and fungus dose with tomorrow mornings feed.
Hope this works or the rest will be culled, luckily all the plants are still in veg, have taken cuttings from everyone to save the genetics in-case…

4 Likes

Had a good look into the coco via the holes in the bottom and sides of the pots through the loupe and only saw dead and deformed dead aphids!! There were a few dead ones in the bottom of the trays as well. Not one live one so far !! Will need to do daily checks to ensure there were no survivors, I doubt every last one has died….

3 Likes

Don’t want to suffer from premature jubilation, but still no sign of survivors this morning. Will have to keep up inspecting twice a day until I am convinced they are all gone.

4 Likes

Appears as if some of the girls are suffering from Iron deficiency from the PH shock they received. Will add some FE to the mix this afternoon to give them a boost…

3 Likes

found some mofo root aphids in the Jack Berry tray this morning. not a lot but even one is too many. plants were culled bagged and dumped after a good nuking. All the other trays seem fine at this point. Looks like I may just do another Pyrethrin flush this weekend to be safe.

3 Likes

That’s crazy man. At least it seems you have a good hold on it.

1 Like