Grow #3 BlackBerry MoonRocks 🌚

Abu do like Low was saying and just keep everything even. So your canopy stays flat. You took off a lot of leaves. Happy Growing :blush:

2 Likes

Just an option. lol.

Any fried green tomatoes yet? :drooling_face:

4 Likes

Any clues on how to tell which ones are ready? Ive been watching videos but its kinda vauge.

Best advice ive got so far is to wait till the spot where the bloom was to fill out and be completely round. But ive got some red one already that aint round so im lost :sweat_smile:. Well over 100 hanging green tomatoes at the moment.

3 Likes

Moderately firm squeeze, right before they start to turn color. Mature, just not ripe. After you do a handful of tomatoes you’ll get a feel for it. Tastes and end product vary depending on stage.

4 Likes

My $.02 is to anchor it down at least 3-4’ with concrete set with eye bolts. Then I use ratchet straps to secure down tight.

4 Likes

Florida mane for the win lol. I bet you’ve seen some breezy days down there!

4 Likes

I’ve been through my share of hurricanes. I’ve lived here all my life. They have been increasing tremendously. My greenhouse has been through several and is still there. Make sure to get one with square tubing. Its shape provides much more strength and rigidity in comparison to round.

6 Likes

I think the ones i been looking at are round. Im not dead set on any particular brand or size. I looked through the link you sent me the other day. Most of the ones i saw on there were the actual greenhouse style ones. I keep saying greenhouse for lack of a better term but i want a tunnel. This is the most recent one ive got my eye on. Its a few feet shorter than the other one and about $100 more but it says heavy duty and it has hinged doors.

2 Likes

The problem with round is one little ding and it loses structural integrity. Then the wind will fold it like a straw.

Mine is a portable one, but not once anchored into the ground. Yeah, it can be moved, but I have no intentions of that.

2 Likes

Low posted a pretty cool pros cons list the other day between the tunnel and greenhouse. I could see the benefits of both. This spring will be a maiden voyage. May do alot of strawberries so if it blows away they are so short they will be ok in the elements lol. The tomatoes have done really well. Couple hiccups but they are making it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I like the way my buddy has setup sections of his nursery. He did anchored 4x4s for the frame. Then 1.5" PVC for the hoops. That is covered with a 55% UV blocking shade cloth. He can raise or lower the screens by simply pulling on a cable. No real protection from anything but the suns rays and minor wind blocking. He has poly on a cable as well for the winters.

5 Likes

That sounds solid.

4 Likes

He has 20 acres that I love to visit. I like the simplicity of that design. Really ya wanna protect chit from the afternoon sun. Plus the rain or sprinklers can go through the screen.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I have been wanting a tunnel for years to grow food in. I have tried in a large cage I built but birds and insects get in and wreak havoc. Actually pulled it down last weekend… Not to mention monkeys that ravage anything they can get their hands on, even enter the house and raid the kitchen😡

4 Likes

Racoons are bad enough, I can only imaginethe havoc of having monkeys getting into everything. Now you know why our ancestors ate them, besides being :yum: yummy…lol…only kidding…for all you unpestered monkey lovers…lol…

2 Likes

lol, the monkeys here are open season at my place. They have no natural predators left in the area other than the Crowned Eagles. The wildlife officers used to do culls back in the day to keep their numbers down but the bunny huggers put an end to that

3 Likes

@Hogbud may I ask whereabouts these monkeys are causing all this chaos ???

2 Likes

Durban, South Africa.

2 Likes

So just down the block huh??? LoL …this Forum gets around. Would love to see your beautiful country someday. The few people I’ve known from s. Africa have been really good and genuine people. One of My dive partners in the islands is from s. Africa. Never met a finer human being.

3 Likes