Greenhouse build on the cheap

YEAH he’s 0nly 40 percent right

1 Like

There was another Ground hog but he had a different name, they said that he has only predicted a early summer like 18 times, all I know is the farmers almanac agrees with him for my zone.

2 Likes

@PhatPat I stand corrected Phil has been around since 1886, he lives by drinking the elixir of life. Now if I could just get a couple gallons of that to water my girls. :thinking: I do make my own “elixir of life”, little ground corn, oats, malted barley, sugar, water and yeast. Mix well and let sit for about a week, cook to 193* Oh well you get the idea. Go get em Phil. Cool Cat :sunglasses:

1 Like

Lmao :rofl:
I didn’t want to say it but was thinking to myself, ive never heard if this other groundhog…

Send me a couple gallons of that elixir as well. I cant imagine what it would do for us or our girls if it can make a groundhog live 138 years…

1 Like

Here are pics of the greenhouse I just finished.

6 Likes

Very nice job!! :clap::clap::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Damn thats fancy. Awesome greenhouse growmie!!! Stained glass and all.
:grin::+1:

3 Likes

Thats pretty nice

3 Likes

@HotAndHumid
What ya got growing in there already?

3 Likes

@PhatPat
I built the greenhouse at my daughter’s house.

She is a master gardener and works as a county ext agent and president of the native plant society.

She raises all of veggies and native plants. The tray are seedlings of those.

This greenhouse replaced several small cheap huts.

3 Likes

Then yeah i can see why you built it with such appropriateness. Again, great job on it.
:grin::+1:

3 Likes

@HotAndHumid Most excellent my friend, it’s gonna motivate me to start back on mine. I like the shelves on the back wall nice touch. Any plans to run power? I think I’m gonna follow your lead and do the inside white. Did you do vent caps on the ridge or just leave a gap to help keep cool? I’m working on roof now. Corrugated not cheap I know. :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

One thing I’m gonna do is run some gutters and empty into a rain barrel. Just believe rain is better for the garden than chlorinated city water.

1 Like

Hello @Cat1
I am running 6/3 wire from the house meter box to the shed in the next few weeks (soon as my daughter saves some more money). I have already wired 8 outlets along the benches. And wired a ceiling light/fan as well as a wall mount fan.

The roof cap has some ventilation but not a lot. Two windows on each side tilt out for ventilation and the door has a screen (the glass lifts up to expose the screen)

At the moment she has extension cords running to power the heat mats and run a floor fan until I get it wired.

She is able to control the temp but opening the windows, the door and floor fan.

This was not a cheap build but should last her a lifetime if she maintains the paint.

Gutters and rain barrel will come afterwards

2 Likes

@HotAndHumid Lowes use to sell transom window hinges that worked for over the door. My build is almost identical to yours and the problem I am going to have is vent. I’m thinking real serious about doing a simple geothermal heat and air, it would keep greenhouses at a constant 73* hopefully. Solar fans would draw air through the 4" pvc. Our frost line is not very deep so I think I can go down 18" and get a constant temp. My mancave is wired with a breaker box that I can tie into easy, but I feel the pain the cost of wire is a bitter pill to swallow, 50’ of 12/3 and I’m good. I would like to run some Hydro. I ran 12’ deck board also for the floor and the windows came from a neighbors remodel, and siding comes from neighborhood fences that are being replaced. My size is 12’x12’ and I have a small deck at the front door. Reason behind my madness is if Mrs. Cat and I move whoever buys it could use it as a covered outdoor deck. I’m in the Mid South and Winters are generally mild and summer can get hot and humid. Congrats on the build it looks great. :sunglasses: :+1:

@Cat1
Your build sounds great. Pretty extensive with the heating and cooling. Did you post pics? I didn’t scroll the entire post.

We are in the Deep South very near the ocean. Needing heat is never a problem.

The solar + the heat mats provide plenty at night. Daytime it’s warm even on a cold day.

The tilt out windows (4) and the screen in the door along with the fan cools it fine.

3 Likes

@HotAndHumid I’m on the river where its a mile wide. Mild winters some snow and scorching july. Build is what started this post and as it states its on the cheap. so far got less than $400 in it. How I did it is explained but weather has played a part. A lot was recycled from new home scrap piles and discounts at lowes. I’m a old carpenter and know how to straighten a crooked board :laughing: Where I’m at right now is working on the roof. The corrugated is a flawed Lowes I picked up for .25 on the dollar. I’m doing rafter braces and cross braces now but rain, cold and snow has slowed me down. Geo thermal has to come at a right time. If I bury deep enough the pvc will stay at the same temp summer and winter, then forced air will give me cool in the summer and heat in the winter, as long as I’m below my frost line. :sunglasses: :v:

4 Likes

Mother Nature can’t make up her mind, 60s last week, rain for most of the week today 48* this morning for the high. 4:00 50% chance of rain, 5:00 50% chance of snow. Dear Mother Nature gimme a break, all I want is a few days I can put the girls into sunny weather. Cool Cat

2 Likes