Found a grow kit. First grow attempt

I mentioned every component of the setup in the first post. If you need more references to my trash bag tent :laughing:

1 Like

Okay so I’ve been trying to be patient and not do anything drastic. I cannot test ppm until it is delivered… I have been searching for answers myself and hope you guys can give me a better clue what’s going on. Both plants receive the same nutrient mix.I mix one big batch that fills both.to required line. Now here is the problem. One of the plants(plant A with clear tubing) has dried leaves that cracked. I think i found the problem. The plants leaf was getting splashed by the drip ring and the mix dried on the leaf. This would cause a salt build up and kill the leaf? The plant is now taller than the ring so the splash can’t happen anymore. Here are a couple pics. What do you guys think?

1 Like

The side by side pic. Its the one on the left. You can see how much the leaves are dropping, curling and drying. I know its tough to diagnose without the ppm reading. I will get better with support ticket information

1 Like

Common problem with nute splash, nit sure I see it but what are your lights doing from the edges curling?

Alot of the leaves were kinda getting hit by splash. Why i wondered if it was like a nute burn on it and affecting overall plant health. A salt build up on them. The light is about 12 inches from top of the canopy. I switched to 18/6.

@LoCoRock I’m not sure what you mean, but would love your thoughts. The light is giving around 33000 lux at the canopy level. Plant A is still has drooping leaves and curling of leaf. I checked to see if maybe root rot. It looks clean and white. This is the only big difference i can tell between two plants. Plant A with the drooping leaves has a root about 1.5 foot long already in the reservoir. While the plant looking good has a 6 inch root out of the bottom. Just looking for thoughts or tips.

Why is one doing okay and the other isn’t. Lol
Pictures today for reference 20200327_143133_HDR|666x499

12" may be a little close with HID lights?? They are both same strain, ya I see one is a little taller…I don’t do hydro but many in here so if ya need we can get one if the guys but I would raise the light a little first…

1 Like

@LoCoRock thanks for the reply. I’ll bump them up til the lux meter drops below 30k. Both seeds are same strain. Plant A was started in soil so the height is a user variable. ( I transplanted it) The one thats doing good…i just dropped the tail of the seed in the rocks. Lol, less you care the better sort of thing. Im just going to let it ride because both plants are getting good new growth… Never ending education.

1 Like

@dbrn32 I understand you’re a light guy. I tried to gather info myself but its hard to find specific info with the wealth of knowledge on the internet and different uses for bulbs. What is the correct (ballpark)distance in your opinion. The bulb type and ballast info are in first post.

Yeah that light is too low, try about 18 - 20 inches above your plants, your light is very similar to the 400 watt hps lamps I used a long time ago. Also try to have air movement between the light and your plants, like having the fan blow over the tops of the plants

1 Like

I can’t find anything with this description

Cew 360w retro ace nh360ra USA JO-1

Would agree it was probably too low though

Think of it as a 360 watt HPS basically, it’s retro bulb made to fit older fixtures.

2 Likes

Okay cool. Thanks ILGM people. I just bumped it to 14. Guess back down to the dungeon to move it again. Lol it was just weird how one plant really didnt like it. Genetics of one plant vs the same strain just maybe a different mother? This is so engrossing. Excess light maybe cause. . Lots more to read, i just trust everyone’s opinions here because you have nothing to gain. Lol
@dbrn32 i couldn’t also… Why i hoped you would know. Found replacement 400w hps that fit my ?m59? ballast for $25. Might get your opinion in the future. Thanks for taking the time to look!
@Hellraiser Good info on the light thanks! I have two 8" fan in the room. One is suspended and hits the lights deflector to keep it cool and a second is blowing into a corner to create random breeze. Definitely try to set it up better.

1 Like

It’d be good to get the 400w HPS bulb for flowering. Looking more into your CEW bulb, it’s a conversion bulb that is basically a metal halide bulb made to fit into HPS fixtures/ballasts. In the old days HPS and MH bulbs could not be used with the same ballast, so hence the conversion bulb. The CEW bulb will provide a better spectrum for veg growth but a 400w hps bulb would be much better for your flowering stage, better spectrum for flowering and a lot more light output.

Plants from seed can be very different from each other, sometimes it hard to believe it’s the same strain.

2 Likes

@peachfuzz what node do you prefer to top or fim at? After a little more research, with only two plants running would fimming be a better option than topping? After 23 days im at 5 nodes with the sixth nodes leaves already going… When do you suggest the hst? Right before a water change and a few hours before lights out?( i only ask because thats around the timeframe for my water changes) I know its probably something you change with every plant, i just want a routine for max quality and quantity for the effort.

1 Like

Also, do i need to start trimming or wait til after i fim to see which branchs will turn into mains? They are getting pretty full before any lst.

I top every node as soon as I have 3 to 5 branches from seed and top everything on clones as soon as I have good roots… :grin::+1:
:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just posting for my own notes. Decided to fim both plants last night. They both seemed to love it and really perked up after 14 hours. 20200330_232142|666x499

Pics are right after fim. 14 hours later and close up of fim job. Let me know if i screwed it up. Lol. Tent is running highs of 72 degrees “daylight” and 64 is the low for “nighttime” Humidity swings from 55% to 46% but mostly just sits in the 50%.

3 Likes

Water change pics for the record. Seeds cracked 23 days ago.

3 Likes