Does Aloe Vera Kill Beneficial Bacteria and Funghi?

Your plant looks great. Clearly your methods are solid. I am open to many methods. There are as many as climate zones on earth.

I am sorry, my response could be viewed as hostile, I apologize for the outburst. It is hard to not be a bit defensive which such terse responses. I should not have chimed in. Happy growing and good karma to you.:handshake:

1 Like

Well folks on a positive note my 6 month old puppy until 5 days ago never bothered my rolling tray with my 79mm roller but she grabbed my roller and chewed the heck out of it. I explained to her that was bad. I went out to my car and got my back up and used it.
That same day she grabbed that one while I was downstairs gardening and chewed it up beyond repair too.
I had to break out my 110mm Virginia slims roller and papers.
Ordered 4 more rollers and got them in.
Left it in the same spot and she grabbed it again while gardening and chewed it up.
Again told her that was bad hoping she would get it this time.
Broke out another new one and today I was gardening came back up she a I played a bit before her bedtime and damned if she hadn’t grabbed that one too but I didn’t notice it until she came and sat next to me just before she went to bed and set that roller down on the floor next to me undamaged. Wow that floored me!
Good girl
She got a couple treats.
A piece of chicken dunked in Aloe and rolled in coffee grounds and I urinated on it.
She loved it.

If you aren’t laughing that’s ok I’m by busting a gut for everyone

Enjoy the day and happy growing

1 Like

Coffee spitter.

Maybe she is telling you she likes the bong better. Ha. Woof.

1 Like

I don’t waste anything I spend money on.
I don’t give my leaves away nor many things except for that plastic crap that goes to the trash.
Most everything gets tossed outside or in my worm bin.
My living soil inside and out works wonders on all those things

Ever since I brought her home at 6 weeks old I would open a jar and let her smell it and she would bark like she was a police dog.

I’m thinking is this a good match up.
She also has chewed up most of my old plants stems and branches. Just gotta keep her outta the grow room when tents are open cause I know she’s a chewer of shrubberies

My bong sounds like a Harley
WW2 army canteen
Stolen dinger hose gas stations used to have and a radiator hose for a ford I think…been awhile

Thanks for the laugh

2 Likes

I don’t use Aloe but have seen several hydroponic growers claim to use small amounts of bleach in their solutions, in regards to early comment about it about bleach killing roots.

1 Like

There’s probably thousands of beneficial growing amendments that work but a simple soil and ferts does the same job.

That said if you have the required soil and ferts you won’t see much difference amending it.

It’s like those bloom boosts that most drop because they do a grow without and don’t realise a difference. Companies with whole lines of aloe to seaweed and oyster shell yet most do just as well in their soil and a+b ferts.

2 Likes

Soil does have great buffering potential which is why they use it for dealing with certain types of contaminants like toxic waste. So it can be very forgiving. Me personally I am picky about what goes into my compost. For example, I do not add citrus fruits (lemons, limes, oranges) due to their high acidity level. Have you ever heard of how Latinos use lime juice on raw seafood to make Ceviche? The lime juice literally cooks the seafood because it is highly acidic and kills the bacteria growing on the surface, making it safe to eat. For these same reasons citrus is not considered beneficial to a compost pile because it will kill off bacteria that we want in our compost. Of course, a small amount of citrus will not destroy your compost pile. But does it do much to help? No.

I also do not compost onions.

But most things I do. I even compost alot of things people say not to compost, such as meat and cheese, because it may attract wild animals or smell bad. Personally I don’t mind either of these things, I live on 90 acres of land.

Regarding the plastics - those are one thing I often do not trash! Many plastic things that you throw away are very useful for gardening. Like those rectangular plastic lettuce tubs they sell lettuce/spinach/kale in at the grocery store. I poke holes in them, fill them with seed starter mix, sow seeds, then place them outside in the winter. This method is known as winter sowing. The plastic container acts as a greenhouse and the seeds will sprout a few weeks earlier than if sown directly in the ground. This method works especially well for cold weather crops like onions, kale, broccoli, and parsley. Here is a picture of some onion seedlinfs that I started last year in a lettuce container placed outdoors in the winter.

1 Like

Not too surprising, I’ve heard of people putting just about anything in their plants.

Personally I would never use bleach with plants. A hydroponic grower that only uses synthetic instant release nutrients it might make sense. For a more organic based grow that is dependent on thriving microbiology (my type of grow) it seems like a bad idea.

There is a ton of truth to this. A soil rich in organic matter often has the bulk of what a plant needs.

I know some people who don’t fertilize and still put out decent plants.

Also, more fertilizer does not necessarily mean a better plant. Most of us know this, but it can be difficult to avoid the intuitive feeling of “more food means more growth”. It’s like with humans - lack of food will stunt growth, but after a certain point more food will not help but rather hurt. If a person grows to a height of 6 feet on a diet of one pizza and two cheeseburgers a day, that doesn’t necessarily mean they would have grown taller (7 to 12 feet) by doubling their intake to two pizzas and four cheeseburgers a day. You’ll just get really fat. Much of a plant’s growth is based on genetics and more food doesn’t always equal more growth.

I do use many different amendments and fertilizers and do achieve great results though. I wouldn’t say they are useless. But I am also extremely scientific about what I apply and when. I usually read a new book every single week about living off of the land (gardening, livestock, composting, hunting, maple syrup, canning, and so on) and often need to buy new notebooks because of all the research, experiments, and nutrient formulations that I come up with and try out. Eventually I plan to even make my own synthetic fertilizers such as ammonium nitrate. It isn’t just about applying nutrients but applying specific ones at specific times and getting the ratios just right. With organic grows this is less necessary. I like a synganic approach which applies the best of both worlds. Moderate use of instant release ferts can help fine tune the NPKs to a particular stage of growth.

Last year I came up with my own super soil recipe and also my own nutrient schedules. My nutrients are a mix of things from Roots Organics, BioAg, and Fox Farm. I also use Alaska Fish Fertilizer and Medina Liquid Seaweed. Also use great white shark mychorizzae, fish sh!t, and unleash for beneficial bacteria and mycos. The bioag products are humic acids, fulvic acids, and silicon. Roots Organics and Fox Farms everyone here probably knows of.

I am still tweaking my formulations, and my methods are definitely not the most cost effective. I invest insane amounts of money into my plants, just as I do with my chickens. I find it’s a better use of my money than blowing it on eight balls of cocaine or sexy strippers. Marijuana is a cash crop so I find it worth being willing to invest - although my level of investment defies all logic. It has turned into an addiction in which I drive all over New England putting plants wherever I can, and trying to swindle more people into it, as I can only take care of so many plants entirely on my own. So I get all of my family and friends into it, these sharecropping ventures. I spend way more money on it than I get back in return, but I don’t care, because I am way too obsessed and don’t want to spend my money on much else. Anything else I can buy just doesn’t seem worth it. Diamond rings and fancy cars are useless to me - I just want to buy more poop and more dirt and more bacteria. Poop, dirt, bacteria are some of the only things I think are worth having. I am not legally sane, so feel free to use your cost effective methods of not spending much money on your grows. You don’t have to spend much money, the only reason I do is because I am addicted and don’t like spending my hard earned dollars on much else.

My formulations do make a difference though. Here is another picture ofbthat Durban Poison plant at the end of veg. Those tomato cages you see in the garden are 4 feet high and are only a small fraction of the size of my plant. The dying tomato plants you see were my landlady’s plants, which she refused to let me help her with - she is an old timer grower that likes her old timer tricks and says my scientific methods are dumb. Well, turns out you can see her tomato plants are severely diseased and almost dead. Meanwhile, my dumb scientific methods resulted in a monster plant that towers over the whole garden like Godzilla.

Spending as much time, money, and energy as I do on this stuff is definitely stupid and insane. But in terms of the plant’s success, it seems like I must have done something right.

1 Like

I disagree an eight ball and strippers are a great use of money and make financial sense in every way.

4 Likes

I get it. You sound like me and my fruit trees. I drove 3 hours last Friday to get some scions of a true black nigrus mullberry and another red fleshed apple. Putting me at 47 fruit trees. Wife says I have a problem. Me I see no problem.

Love it, a man after my heart. FYI the Costco muffin tubs make the best seed starters. Deep trays and taller domes. The muffins I always choose blueberry and chocolate chip one.

Started these red fleshed apples in a cut fruit tray. It’s a pheno hunt for red leaves and stems. I have 2 that fit the bill. The red leaves and stems will make red apples.

And some yellow dragon fruit seeds in an old strawberry tub:

2 Likes

I don’t shop at costco, I don’t think I have one near me. I live on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Recently a woman that came to pick me up for a date called me when she was halfway down my driveway because she thought she was lost in the middle of the woods. It is a half hour drive to the nearest grocery store and I don’t want to drive much further for food.

I used to buy foods like kale primarily so I could collect the containers. But eventually I realized the stupidity of this. It becomes really expensive to buy tons of extra food just to collect the containers. Eventually I had an enlightening realization and decided to look up clear takeout tubs on Amazon. I found some that were about 4 maybe 5 inches high and 8 inches wide, and they sell 50 packs for around ten bucks. So I spent ten bucks and now have 50 winter sowing containers, on top of the other containers I have accumulated like milk jugs and soup containers. I’ll be winter sowing starting now til March so the collecting is done, now it is time to fill them with soil and seeds.

Also I notice you grow alot of things like berries and trees. I am more into annuals. I have the habit of moving every year or two. So it just doesn’t make sense for me to grow things that take multiple years to get going.

My Brain throbbed a bit reading this. One of the best general statements I have ever read.

1 Like