Best place to get top notch genetics

Agreed they do and that’s because farmers have been paid for weight and look, not for nutrient value and taste as well. The rating drops short of how things should be rated.

I know I grew up on a hobby farm and I’ve grown all sorts of things, canned, etc etc no store has ever sold me good tasting peas, tomatoes, or carrots those are very basic crops yet they can’t produce good ones? Seems like someone’s missing half the picture just asking for a new type of GMO grower to come in and patten everything and be super rich.
When really they should be doing this already and no one should have rights of genetics but again that’s not the way our short sited capitalist democracy works all the time.

1 Like

You’re giving them too much credit. They will most likely be shit genetics that conform to government mandated cannabinoid levels. The product of dumb people who want a government that has all of the control. Wait and see what happens if people like that legalize cannabis.

3 Likes

so, I read as much of the article as I could stand.

Obviously they are on the trail of doing some seemingly good things like Bio fortified crops. But my end take away is that this is all possible using proper soil and genetics. It also alludes to these crops being mostly beneficial to poor economic zones where a lack of food diversity is not present.

Yes, I will admit that they will be able to impart certain “features” into plants not possible with traditional methods, but at what cost? I don’t think they quite know. Testing in a lab versus the actual application can be be widely different.

Take synthetic vitamins. Im not a doctor, Scientist, or vitamin taker, but I’ll bet the farm that supplying your body with less milligrams of naturally derived vitamins, and their entourage(other trace elements/vitamins) is far more beneficial than a concentrated dose of synthetic Vitamin C for example. That synthetic vitamin is missing all of the “other” goodies and hence is not as effective, just like this damn CBD craze. Thats for another rant.

In closing @Nicky, I appreciate your points, but do not see for myself these bio engineered crops being something I can get behind. I have more faith in Mother Nature and her ability to nourish/cure than I do the big business model.

Thank you for the link and food for thought.

5 Likes

Agreed, they will f things up for sure.

1 Like

We will fudge things up for sure if we dont maintain heritage and landrace strains. All these icecream popsicle sherbet snow dream flavoured plants are cool but…

@AAA @Nicky, I agree it went off topic, but any human manipulation of the plant is working the genetics for our benefit. Whether we like to admit it, or not, we often choose nurture over nature.

1 Like

It’s an interesting debate and you know I respect you both and can understand how you feel about this @AAA while I hear where your heads at @dbrn32 but I respectful disagree.

@dbrn32 cannabis is legal here in Canada and federally, soon I’m sure it will be in the US and many other places in the next 10 years.
But what I’m trying to make everyone here understand is that the same technology that is available to government labs, universities, biochemistry companies and pharm companies is available to almost everyone that truly wants to do it and make the time and investment sacrifices. You can do this in your office, your grow room, your basement, your shed, or if your a highschool student then your bedroom/closet.
The technology is available and it’s cheap, there is very little oversight or regulations on this type of thing currently.
Now that’s half good and half bad, normally limiting things to certain people is bad but in this case of genetics… Considering it could be cannabis genetics or any other type of genetics it’s actually quite scary.
So let’s stick with the cannabis genetics to not go way way off track.

While you might love the old fashioned way of breeding plants and crossing species that’s fine but not everyone is going to play by your rule book and I’m just saying someone if it’s not me is going to be creating GMO cannabis that anything today can’t even come close to in comparison.
Whatever you want more of or less of you can now genetically modify that in your basement if you want to put the time in and invest your money into it.
The only reason I personally haven’t done it is there is a couple limiting factors.
#1 selling seeds is illegal in my country unless federally approved and cannabis minium sentences are not worth it to me.
#2 there is no way to stop someone else from stealing your genetics and thus the time and money you put in can very easily be gobbled up by a big legal company or the countless illegal ones both of whom you can’t stop.

@AAA lol natural vs synthetics, it’s just chemistry man very basic chemistry and I could argue (not that I want to argue with anyone I just want to talk about it all) the point that atoms are atmons and elements are elements we are part of nature energy is merely changed from one form to another and thus you can “create” synthetics that are identical to anything that is “natural”
It just takes more quality control some make cheaply made poorly designed synthetics and some make bang on synthetics :wink:

1 Like

All the things you say make sense in theory, but I don’t think in practice its the same.

Do you believe that a synthetic cannabis can be made that will give you the same high as its natural counterpart?

1 Like

I don’t think you’re clear on what I was saying. I was agreeing with you on future of genetics. But doubting it will benefit us.

Here’s an example. Cannabis is illegal in US, yet everyone will send seeds here. Cannabis is legal in Canada, and not everyone will send seeds there. Legalization means regulation, and smart people know better than to ask for that.

4 Likes

No to that ! Organic chemistry is nowhere near natural plant physiology when terpenes creation and genetic variation are concerned. Not to mention, many have eluded to the fact that there is a noticeable difference between clones grown in a greenhouse vs those grown under lights vs those grown under starlight. Temperature and light play a definite role in taste and smell.

1 Like

Sounds like we are in agreement then lol

@AAA I would totally agree in theory it’s totally plausible but the chances of people settling for less than perfection is highly plausible as well.

2 Likes

People settle all the time! If there is an entry point for artificial weed its vaping. That would be the perfect way to sell fake weed.

1 Like

That’s why I grow and I have my own vape that only vapes flower. I don’t want random oils and popcorn lung

3 Likes

Yeah that popcorn lung thing is wack! Serious bad juju!

Yeah well when you see how these people vape it’s no wonder they still have lungs. It’s meant to be used as an alternative to smoking a cig and for no other reason, not to be used more than you would smoke a cig.

I guess? I quit smoking cancerettes many years ago and strangely vaping wasn’t needed, I used lollipops! My wife, kids and I just watched a thing on tv about the Vape industry, it appears they initially thought it might be good for smokers as a transitional tool? Didn’t take long for cigarette manufacturers to see unhealthy competition so they bought up the leading ecig manufacturer so they could more adequately target teenagers both with candy flavors and and by placing ads for alternatives to cigarettes on cigarette packages! They also have not done any reasonable long term clinical trials on these devices. In essence, users of them are Guinea pigs. Personally, until studies have been concluded I’ll stick to tried and true, cannabis has not be linked to any fatalities, smoking techniques!

1 Like

Well the government were fools for letting them sell it any where but over the counter.

Convince stores and flavors duhhh… Idiots
Kids are stupid and they ate it right up as did many stupid adults.
Oh well not my problem billions of people on this earth we could loose a couple for the sake of the environment or maybe like 4 billion that sure would be good for the environment

1 Like

Maybe it’s a secret plan?

Interesting thread.

I completed my first seed grow between Dec 2018 - June 2019.

It was a problem grow but I did get some original seeds and a cross strain.

To test the viability of the seeds, I germinated and planted 15 of each strain and just let them grow.

Some of the plants were grown in soil and some using Kratky++

Next year I plan to do another seed grow using an early strain of Indica and cross with KumoaniNI and JamkoNI female clones. My dream of breeding an outdoor strain that can withstand the climate of the North of Ireland could become a reality in 2020.

My journal for this year can be read here

Has anyone got suggestions on a good early Indica?

1 Like

I bought my landrace seeds from seedsman - Kumaoni-regular-seeds on the understanding they would be a cold-hardy, mould/mildew & bug resistant pure Sativa.

To my mind (at that time), these seeds would be ideal for growing in the North of Ireland 54.5977° N with maximum daylight hours of 17.15hrs and minimum 7.15hrs.

However, the seeds turned out to be original and had come from Uttarakhand, Northern India 30.0668° N with maximum daylight hours of 14.05hrs and minimum 10.11hrs.

My first seed breeding grow was carried out in a small tent and used a combination of natural light and a 300 watt LED. I used 18/6 lights for veg and a staggered light schedule of 1 week at 14/10, 1 week at 13/11, 6 weeks at 12/12 and 6 weeks at 10/12.

With the luck-of-the-Irish, the light schedule worked and I got a few hundred Kumaoni seeds along with hundreds of Kumaoni - Jamaican Pearl cross seeds.

Subsequent indoor grows under lights have produced satisfactory yields and smokes.

In June/July, I tested both sets of seeds by germinating and planting 15 of each strain in my polytunnel under natural daylight only.

Explosive veg growth started almost immediately and continued until about the second week of September when the first signs of flowering started to show.

I knew that my experiment was going to fail.

The original seeds were not acclimatised to the daylight hours and extreme climate conditions of winter in the North of Ireland.

By late November the plants had only managed to produce some scraggly buds and mildew/bud rot had set in, the whole lot had to be chucked.

I started 2019 in very poor shape. No smokes and very little chance of growing anything worthwhile.

I start 2020 in much better shape. 3 months of smokes and a 4-week continuous harvest schedule along with hundreds of seeds.

I’m developing a cunning plan to beat the mildew and rot by crossing early hardy landrace Indica with my current plants.

Plan it, practice it, pucking do it…

Good luck