Beginner - White Widow Auto, 1st grow journal

It may look mangled, but this baby is REALLY taking off! 3 weeks in, and I already count over a half a dozen bud spots! :smile:

4 Likes

That’s sweet, man.

4 weeks old today! The top of the plant is at bottom left, I’m hoping to get her to the bottom-center of the bucket by the time she starts to bloom and fill up the rest of the open space with other bud sites. It’s getting harder to pin down bud sites because there are so many leaves!

3 Likes

So the Cardinal Rule is, “Never Top Autos,” right? But I read somewhere that you can, but you have to do it at Week 2. Call it an act of despair in a moment of grief (after sadly and slowly realizing that I had just burned my month-old Golden Leaf at the stake with a nitrogen napalm bomb), but I decided to go ahead and experiment with my 2-week old Widow (though I planted another one to take her place, just in case).

Here she is post-top:

Here’s the piece I pinched off (in all honesty, I was trying to FIM, but accidentally pinched too hard and the top snapped off in my fingers – I FIMed the FIM!):

And here she is this morning, looks like I’m getting 2 new shoots, and she still looks healthy!

It’ll be interesting to see how she compares with my LST-only gal who’s 2 weeks her elder . . .

1 Like

Outdoor Widows coming right along, although I see what another poster was talking about when they called their outdoor Widow a “cola on a stick!”

Here’s my WW auto on the 2nd morning after topping. I guess those two little bumps in the middle are my two new main cola babies?

That would be them is what it looks like to me!!! Good luck!! I’m watching for the results of this one!!

1 Like

Cool man.glad the outaide one is surviving for ya.is a lil stick pole though .i need to rreread some info or im sure someone will chime in but i read what you said about topping and now im confused where as before i thought i understood that to FIM is to cut the top a 1/4" inch above the node and i took what you were saying to mean you were trying to pinch without taking the top off which i though slightly mashing the stalk was super cropping lol one of us is confused and one of us is confusing the both of us lol Newbies what do u do with us lol someone’s gonna straighten us out just watch

1 Like

To FIM, you only pinch the top of the new growth, but try not to pinch it off. If you screw up and pinch it off, it’s been topped. Haven’t tried FIM yet, only done some reading on it.

Yeah, I was trying to just FIM it. There are 2 ways to FIM, either pinching it (to cause damage) or cutting off the top 80% of the top leaves/bud area. Topping is when you cut off the whole top above the next node down, which is what I ended up doing by mistake.

Super cropping is where you take established branches and squeeze & bend them, so you end up “snapping” the inside stalk, without doing damage to the outside layer of the stalk. Then a new node or bud forms at the point of bending.

This is different because I did it at 2 weeks, which is necessary because it’s an auto, but is WAY early for normal topping. And because it’s so small, it was really hard to gauge the “pinch” or even have enough space to see where to cut.

1 Like

I’m gonna start a few white widow autos as soon as seeds show up. So I’m interested to see how you grow is going.

Here it is at the end of the 2nd day after topping, the two new shoots have started.

Ya that was my problems.my plants are growing such tight nodes I almost cant see between them to make that cut. I read up on it I also didnt use sterlized scissors I just used dirty finger nails.I know now,so glad I got lucky this time

1 Like

:+1:t2: I’m not brave enough to top an auto. Only got one going so sticking lst. Might wait a bit this time think I tied down to early last time. Looking to get a circular thing going

WOO-HOO!! I’m on vacation in Denver, CO! Dropped by a hydro store and finally gave in to peer pressure!

Picked up a SCROG net too. Since I pretty much lost my first Golden Leaf, I guess I’ll try a 2-planter for the next grow.

Picked up some OG Kush (I) and Strawberry Nightmare (S). The Nightmare’s pretty tasty! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

So here are my parting shots of my babies. They’ll be on their own for 4 days, I’m a worried papa!

4-1/2 weeks:

2-1/2 weeks:

& topped:

4 days old (it’s tiny, but it’s there!):

Oh, and a little peek at today’s flavor, Strawberry Nightmare! :wink:

5 Likes

Last day of tokin’ up to this every morning!!

But I AM looking forward to getting home and checking on my girls!

3 Likes

I’M HOME!! My vacation got extended, no complaints. 5 days on their own and the girls have blossomed into women!

5 weeks in, I think I’m done with LST, she shaped up pretty nicely!

The topping went great, but wish I’d been around to start LST a little earlier!

And my little weeklong!

More pics when I check outside tomorrow, right now, I’m pooped, so it’s a bowl of Blue Dream and then off to dreamland . . . :sleeping:

1 Like

So here we are in the morning! 5-1/2 weeks in, and I’m going to let the colas grow:

Doing LST on the 2 toppers and 2 below them, should cover the whole pot nicely!

-

2 Likes

One of my WW’s just broke the surface of the soil. FINALLY on my way as well. Hope mine turn out half as nice as yours.

1 Like