Arborist's first grow journal

That is funny. White Widow fem was my first plant that I grew as well. I didn’t have a scale then, but I was able to fill 4 small mason jars. I think they can hold 16oz of fluid.

I gave 2 of the jars to a buddy for X-mas. He was happy.

1 Like

Those pint jars hold about an ounce each

@fano_man Yeah I know. I also have the big ones and will need more with how my crops will produce.

U better get ready to tie them branches out and start super cropping heavy @MrPeat your gonna get real tall in flower unless you start training em now

day 6
@1000

• temperatures (f)
    • (h2o): 74.3
    • (tent): 77.9
    • (empty cube): 76.3
  • humidity
    • (tent): 47%
    • (empty cube): 56%
  • water ph: 5.8 (or 6.2… reading was jumpy)
  • water ppm: 17 (or 34, jumpy reading)
  • water ec (us/cm): 36

nicely fogged dome now that i have the heat mat + propagator off the ground. turtle is looking good and very upright.

day 7
@1315

• temperatures (f)
    • (h2o): 73.2
    • (tent): 79.3
    • (empty cube): 77.2
  • humidity
    • (tent): 45%
    • (empty cube): 55%
  • water ph: 5.8
  • water ppm: 6
  • water ec (us/cm): 12

turtle is still sunbathing under the 40 watt cfl light. following the grow bible, she should until maybe 8-12 inches then over to hps or led light (she’s about 1.5 inches tall rn). i wonder if turtle is stretching too much for light… i’ve gone ahead and lowered it as far as i can. i’m seeing the tiniest bit of root coming out the bottom of her tray, too!

2 Likes

got turtle’s main grow tent fixed up and ready for her (had my filter/intake fan set up backwards, fixed that and got her ‘stand’ and drip pan ready).

just waiting on my dr. earth 3-9-4 to arrive thurs so i can add that to the bottom of her big-girl soil. will be going happy frog + dr earth at the bottom ~1/3, then happy frog for the rest with a solo-cup-worth of seedling soil in the middle of the amended happy frog (added extra perlite and dolomite lime) for when i transplant miss september (aka turtle). i’ll be going organic/fish&seaweed emuls for her food. also picked up some recharge and will be giving that to her weekly with one of her waterings.

gave her first extra-watered-down dose of the root dip that @fano_man suggested so fingers crossed that works out! she’s gonna get too tall for her germination propagator soon D: so i will need to figure that out. don’t want to transplant her too soon… but i read that for autos, it’s good to put them into their forever home sooner rather than later.

1 Like

couple of pics from the other day:

1 Like

Looking good. Once the roots settle in the next transplant container, the ladies will start to take off, and you’ll really be able to see growth week to week. Makes for a pretty rad time lapse video. Happy growing!

1 Like

thanks @Jza444, same for you!

1 Like

pic before catching up on updates later:

2 Likes

Root dip stuff good to treat happy frog with

1 Like

If you use it on the happy frog as recommended on bottle and leave it on a compartment it will make your soil chock full of good bacteria which is a great start for your plant but became full at this stage I wouldn’t give any nutes right away as the food in the soil will carry u a week or 2 but if you want start getting it ready to heavy feed then start giving seedling and start work in ng them up

2 Likes

But if a plant is not ready for food as being conditioned to it then it won’t no how to act when you over load im t worh food if it’s not used to it by burning also know ass

good point yeah i don’t want to push too hard with the food right out of the gate. i’m hoping her roots will be developed enough in the next couple of days to jump over to her new home/soil. going to enjoy some re-reading of that bottle :joy: yeah i want to do what i can to get the soil nice and alive with the good guys

See that bottle helps unlock the soil more or less so it makes feeding give a nitrogen toxicity almost guaranteed and nitrogen toxicity for young plants can be deadly or extremely stunting

fingers crossed for no nitrogen or other toxicity haha

here are a few days worth of updates.

day 8
@0000

• temperatures (f)
    • (h2o): 73.4
    • (tent): 79.2
    • (empty cube): 77.9
  • humidity
    • (tent): 46%
    • (empty cube): 54%
  • water ph: 6.5
  • water ppm: 20
  • water ec (us/cm): 42

turtle is still quite tall/stretching up. i’ve swapped her light earlier in the evening to a 75 watt bulb from the 40 watt, since i’m guessing the stretching means she’s telling me she wants more light! prepped and planted her cousin, some peppermint, to protect her :slight_smile: she’s just shy of 1.75" tall.

day 9
@0945

• temperatures (f)
    • (h2o): 73.2
    • (propagator): 80.6
  • humidity
    • (propagator): 99%
  • water+ ph: 6.7
  • water+ ppm: 78
  • water+ ec (us/cm): 165

‘water+’ in this case is water + watered down dose of the root solution

still tall and beautiful. opted for a mini temperature gauge + hygrometer that will actually fit within the propagator for more accurate temp and humidity readings inside. that seems to be working well. been fiddling with the warming mat temp as the temp in the propagator drops/rises.

day 10
@0900

• temperatures (f)
    • (h2o): 73.6
    • (propagator): 78.6
  • humidity
    • (propagator): 99%
  • water+ ph: 6.3
  • water+ ppm: 358
  • water+ ec (us/cm): 761

‘water+’ in this case is water + watered down dose of the root solution

screwed up ph balancing the water thus the high ppm and ec readings. but got it dialed in eventually; going forward i’m going to dump water if it takes me too many adjustments to keep the ppm and ec in line. still just the one root barely peeking out of the drain hole at the bottom of the cube holder. i’m tempted to pop her out and take a look at root formation around the riot cube, but don’t want to shock her/hurt her. so just being patient and waiting for the root to get a little longer/leaf development to get further along before her transplant.

from peeking at her all the time i can’t really tell any difference in her growth, but looking at new pics versus old i can see her first node of leaves is actually getting bigger, so that’s something!

saw a slight amount of burn just at the very tips – her light was pretty close before, so i raised it, and hasn’t been more of an issue since then. also have her light on a timer now, 18/6 is the sched.

and a new pic (leaves are starting to get longer than the cotyledons :slight_smile:) :

2 Likes

i think she might be close to ready for her first transplant (going to give it a day or two):

sept14

2 Likes

new month new budget haha
wow hlg ships fast ordered some rspec qbs (135w v2) and they’re already here! decided to do a parallel grow in coco coir, will see which i end up liking better. kinda unfair since the coco coir will be getting the rspec from day 1 :joy:

1 Like

Everything is looking good. You’ll like the rspec board. HLGs can be pricey, but they are completely worth it. Also, they are very transparent about their specifications, and light expectations. In my experience, this is not the case with most lighting companies.

1 Like